Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Evening Update

After looking at the length of this post, I should have titled it, “Incoherent Ramblings by Teague Bengtzen.”

They have given Dad a prescription of steroids which makes him somewhat agitated.  He does not like this feeling but it also helps increase his appetite and mental clarity which are good things.  I am not sure if it is good or bad, but he went without a nap the entire day because of the new medication.  Grandma Rene joined us for lunch and we had a great visit with her.  Cory, Spring, Jaxon, and Brenna came around dinner time and had a great visit! (see picture below)  It’s a good thing Spring is in our family because there is no way Cory could have such cute kids without her.

A nurse came to the house today and put an IV in Dad in an attempt to get his fluids up.  He now has the IV stand on rollers that follows him around the house - Cory and I were thinking that we need to get Grandma Betty to give us a good name for it (she is so funny and has a name for everything).  Grandma, when you think of one, let us know.

I love to read my siblings’ posts!  I have the best brothers and sister in the world. We are all very different, yet we have a lot of fun around each other and get along really well.  I would not have believed that a family could have become so much more close in a short period of time if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

Dad had a couple of visitors today. First was a woman who was the Relief Society President when Dad was the Bishop.  She has lost two family members to cancer and has a daughter fighting it right now (we are rooting for you and love you Teresa!!). She was so happy and positive and said a few things that really brightened Mom and Dad’s day.  She also brought a gift from an anonymous person for Dad. Whoever you are, we thank you very, very much! Second, we had a friend who was a counselor to Dad while he was Bishop.  This friend brought some great news and we thank him for that!  Third was Dad’s cousin and his wife.  They have been good friends of Mom and Dad’s for a long time as well as employed Dad for the last several months.  They have been very kind to our family.  Last, the Dinner Group brought by a shake for Dad.

It is hard to know how much to put on a public forum like this.  I struggle with this every time I write. I try to not send the wrong message or say anything that could be misinterpreted.  I am having a hard time expressing my emotions, but my siblings do a great job of writing from their heart and I really appreciate it.

People continue to ask how Dad is doing and if he is improving.  Here is Dad’s current condition. On Friday we should receive the liver biopsy back to try to determine what kind of cancer this is.  There is about a 50% chance this test will tell us.  If it does, then we will know the most effective chemo to try.  If it does not, then we continue with the best “generic” chemo we can.  Dad’s condition continues to worsen.  We have looked at alternative methods to chemo but the doctor (whom we really trust) feels that the chemo is too widespread for these treatments.  

My siblings feel that he doesn’t have much longer although we don’t know what that means.  We are all very sad and cry often, yet somehow most of us have found a peace that pulls us along when we don’t want to go on.  We have a saying that we have talked a lot about – “No Regrets!”  We have promised each other that we will say and do the things to Dad that we want to and need to so we will have no regrets.


Dad, Jaxon, Brenna, Cory, and Spring

4 comments:

  1. No matter what the outcome we have the best family in the whole world! I love you guys!
    Grandpa you are my hero and always will be! xoxo -Caitlin Bengtzen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teague,

    Thank you and thanks to your family for sharing this precious/sacred time with all of us out here on the Internet.

    Let me share a thought with your family...my child is in Grandma Raynee's preschool and loves it! My wife felt so strongly that Peter needed to be at Grandma Raynee's, but was not sure why. He loves the school. We love how messages about Jesus are incorporated into the classes, and now reading this blog has helped to create such an emotional connection to your family. We cry and are saddened at what you all are dealing with, but are also so grateful your family is willing to share these experiences with other people. It makes me wonder if Peter needed to be in the class so his mom and dad could have the experience of some incredible examples to learn from. (Does this make sense?)

    After reading the posts, it is clear that your parents have lived tremendous lives standing up for what they believe is right and have instilled those values into their children. They are continuing to do that to so many other families through the school, and these posts. I hope this does not sound wrong, but It is so inspiring to read these posts and learn from the examples your family has set and is setting for us. I cry with you but come away from this blog with such a feeling of peace because of how you all are dealing with a horrible situation.

    I am appreciative to Grandma Raynee and your father for the examples they continue to be. I am grateful to your family for sharing these experiences. Please know of our love.

    Steven Dunham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you mention alternative treatments, there is a lawyer that my mom knows that told her about a cuban treatment. You can find more info in this website:

    http://www.escozul-cancer.com/index.html

    He says that he had it when he had ancer and that he is completely clean right know.
    I'm sure you can find more info if you google it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary you have been a great friend and have always have been there for me when I needed a friend and someone too talk to. You always made me feel part of your family and I do appreciate that,and want you to know that through all the trouble that you and I went through when you wrer the bishop I will never forget you, because you were always there for me even after you were release from your position we still stayed in touch with each other and I will always remember the times we shared together thank you and I love you and your family very much Jeff Thygesen

    ReplyDelete