Monday, February 7, 2011

Kentucky Trip

Hello All-

This last weekend was one of the most amazing weekends I have spent with my family. We did feel bad that Kirk was not able to make the trip though. It is very cool to see how my sister and brothers are so completely different in many ways (they are all weird-os), and yet we all get along so well. We had such a great time playing games and just hanging out with each other. I feel very lucky to have such incredible siblings! It was also a very emotional couple of days too. It is so difficult for me to see Dad in so much pain, yet he never complains.

I was so happy that I had the chance to be there to see my Dad spending time and talking with both Grandma and Grandpa. You could just feel the special bond that they share, it was very strong. Grandpa looked good and seemed very happy that we were all there. He was the same old Grandpa asking us funny questions on "you’re not a Bengtzen, how do you spell it?" It was great to see him. Grandma looked great, and is as witty as ever! She was making all of us crack up the whole time. We were at lunch and I was waiting for our waiter to bring me a few more tortillas she said, "Cory, you are going to have to go resurrect someone back there if you want more". It was so funny!

Tim and Barbara, thank you for opening your home to us. It was great to see you and the food was awesome! You have a beautiful home in an amazing area. I would love to see it in the summer. We also had a great time with Shawn, Lisa and their cute family playing games and hanging out.

Teague and I were talking about how proud we are of Mom. She is handling all of this with such grace and strength. I can't even imagine what all she is going through, but yet she is keeping a big smile on her face and a very positive attitude. Mom, we all love you and appreciate everything you are doing for dad.

One of the things I love about flying the most, is the time it gives me to sit and think about different things, without the cell phone ringing, and other distractions. This specific flight I obviously thought a lot about my father. As everyone has agreed on this blog, he is an amazing man. There are many different things that I have learned from him over the years but there are two that really stand out to me right now.

1. How to treat your spouse:

He is such an amazing example in this area. Anyone that knows him, knows that he has the upmost respect and love for my mom and they have an amazing relationship. He really does think about her before thinking about himself. As mentioned before in a different post, a few days ago, even when he is in such incredible pain, and so weak, he wakes up before mom to make her breakfast. Dad, one of my commitments to you, is to be more like you in this area.

2. How to be a great father:

My father is one of the most patient and understanding people you will ever meet. He was a great example to me on how to discipline my children. As far back as I can remember, when I would get in trouble (which was much less than my other brothers:)), we would have "the talk" in our den. My father would never yell or be physical, but we would talk about what happened and how "he was disappointed in my actions". I would have rather taken the beating than to hear him say that. While having these talks, there was never any doubt that he loved me no matter what, but it was my action that was not okay. I remember thinking to myself after these talks, that I didn't want to have that talk ever again, and it worked (most of the time). Now with my wife and I raising 2 small awesome kids, I find myself a lot thinking "how would my father handle this". Dad, thank you!



Here are a couple of fun pics from the trip:


Dad looking cool in Chris' glasses


Teague, Alicia, and Dad

A couple of pics of chasing an amazing sunset on our way home




Teague up flying with Stan

There was one other HUGE lesson I learned on this trip. Teague is an awesome brother and a great example to all of us. But, NEVER let him drive your rental car!! Yes, we had a little accident while we were there, but luckily nobody was hurt (except his ego and a couple of cars).
Teague- Avis called today and they need you to send your insurance information to them. Call me and I will give you their fax number. (the brake pedal is the one left :-)))

Thanks to everyone that has posted on this blog, it has meant a lot to Dad and our family.
Dad, I love you and thank you for everything you have given and taught us.

Love,

Cory, Spring, Jaxon, and Brena

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a wonderful time this weekend. It is always very nice to spend some time with the family. How great you had the chance to go to Kentucky.

    I hope you are having a good day!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you and your family have been and will continuously be blessed because of this trip. It's not surprising at all to me that you all get along so well, and I at least have an idea of how different you all are. I believe you each have the light of Christ within you as individuals, and when you come together as a family, especially with two big lighthouses like your parents, that light collectively burns so much stronger. Kirk mentioned something I'm sure everyone connected to Gary has thought at least once... How the heck could this happen? Why? I think it's special to see how even though a big question will go unanswered, a lot of other issues can be resolved and even a greater understanding can be reached just by pondering that big question. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, aside from Chris, you're the one cousin Mr. CB Aviation that I haven't seen very much of recently. And I've even heard rumors in the past of family who actually live in Utah not seeing you as much as other family members. Well, you just showed up in a really big way. For all of us, not just your immediate family. The way you've spent your time and used your talents recently has impressed and inspired me, (and I'm sure several others) and I wasn't even part of the trip! Fantastic work my friend. I hope we get to hang out soon.

    ReplyDelete