Thursday, February 17, 2011

Legacy of Faith

I love reading about our family's ancestors. I love getting to know them as I read a new story or find a new piece of information about them. It has been a fun journey that has made me excited to want to meet them. I am looking forward to it one day...although I can wait. It is important to tell our stories to our posterity. I am so grateful for this blog. It will be a valuable record for our children and grandchildren.

One of my favorite movies is Legacy. It tells the story of pioneers who crossed the plains to come to Utah. Both of Teague's lines are filled with people who came across the plains in these wagon and hand cart companies. My parent's lines have many pioneer ancestors as well. I have really enjoyed learning about these industrious and faithful people. I can't help but think that Teague's people knew my people because they were both in St. George at the same time.

As I was reflecting on this Legacy movie, I remembered a line in there about one woman leaving her posterity a legacy of faith. I know that Gary is doing that by his example. I love him so much. He has been my husband's best friend and confidant. It's been scary at times how alike they are. Gary has always been a quiet pillar of strength. I am so grateful for his example to our family. It was always comforting to have him work side by side with Teague in the business.

But today I have been reflecting on Raynee's example. I told Teague the other day that Raynee's legacy is one of showing us how we should act when we are faced with difficult trials. Gary is showing us how he is gracefully dealing with the wretched cancer as it afflicts his body. But as Raynee faces all of the other challenges, she is quietly teaching us that we need to face our trials with our heads held high, setting our eyes forward and on the mark and then pressing on, enduring to the end. Her optimistic attitude is infectious. "We can be sad for a moment and then get up and be happy...it doesn't do anybody any good to sit around and complain or be unhappy."

I think of my all time hero in the Bible, Queen Esther and the similarities between she and Raynee. The famous line that her Uncle Mordecai said to her was, "who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" Esther went on to do something absolutely brave and amazing for the Jewish nation. She saved an entire people because of her faith, obedience and courage. Who knows Raynee, whether thou art come to this point for such a time as this? I know that Heavenly Father is at the helm. He is leading and guiding and walking beside you. You and Gary have been brought to such a time as this to do a good work. And it will manifest itself. Miracles have already occurred in our lives because of this. God lives. He loves you and is mindful of this situation. Jesus has risen and He lives and knows you individually. I KNOW that you know that. And because He lives, families can be together forever.

Just like reading our ancestors' stories or reading from the scriptures, Gary and Raynee's story is filled with faith, courage, and obedience. I am so grateful to them for this. Thank you for your legacy to all of us!

Raynee, on behalf of your sons, daughter, daughters in law, son in law, grandchildren, friends, neighbors, parents, in laws, sister, brother, and everyone else who comes in contact with you, we thank you for your example to us of staying faithful and true.

I am so glad I have been a part of this wonderful family for the last 20 years! Time flies when you're having fun!!!

8 comments:

  1. Dear Bengtzen Family, Please know our thoughts and prayers are with you all through this difficult journey. You are ALL such shining examples of faith, strength, love, determination and courage. It has been amazing to read your posts and be able to feel your love for each other and the closeness you share as a family. You truly are a remarkable family and extremely lucky to have each other. I wish I could have known your Dad better, I only met him once at Uncle Ken's Birthday party at your Parent's home a few years ago. He was very busy making sure all the kids were having fun and were able to enjoy the pool. It was very sweet to watch him.

    Your Mom is my Second Cousin and a kindred spirit I feel, though we have only seen each other a couple of times throughout our lifetime. It's sad to think we only live 50 miles away and we have only seen each other maybe 3 times.

    Please take care in the coming days and know that you are all in our hearts at this time. Please tell your Mom we are thinking of her.

    With deepest regard,

    Tami and Peter Harlow, and Elaine Fitzsimmons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Raynee and Gary,
    We loved this blog entry, as we have been touched by them all. We second the opinions expressed so well today. Both of your examples have 'come at such a time as this' to comfort us and show us how to deal with such hard things as this disease, which is affecting so many of our lives, and all other trials we may face.
    We love you and admire you and keep praying for you.
    Rick & Carolyn Evans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. Raynee is truly one of my favorite people as well as one of my heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post Jen. I am also grateful to be part of the Kartchner/Hurst side of that great legacy. I have always been impressed with Gary and Raynee and their amazing attitude of faith and gratitude for every day. Raynee's desire to hold up her head, put a smile on her face and endure is so much of who she is and who Gary is. I know that their actions are helping to define who each of us are and the type of legacy we want to leave for our families.
    Another great example of wonderful women in the scriptures is the story of Ruth and Naomi and their devotion to each other. So often daughter in laws are quick to criticize their mother in laws. As I was reading your thoughts about Raynee I was reminded of this story and a particular verse following the birth of Ruth and Boaz's son. It is the greatest compliment I think a daughter in law could receive. It says, "For thy daughter in law, WHICH LOVETH THEE, is better o thee than seven sons, hath born him." Naomi had mourned the loss of two of her sons but had been blessed with a faithful daughter in law to sustain her in both of their trials. The Lord blessed Ruth and Naomi because of their love and devotion to each other and to the Lord. It is a compliment to you Jen that you are that type of daughter in law to Raynee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen.Amen.Amen. Thank you Jen for writing this tribute to Raynee and putting into words what we all think about her.She is the most beautiful,strong,amazing,inspiring,courageous example to us all.She is always the first one to offer her help in any situation.She has led the way with Gary's fight,with a smile on her beautiful face.Even though at times l am sure she does not feel like smiling, she always thinks of others and puts their needs first.
    I love you Raynee.
    Love Linda Barlow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have followed every blog that has been written
    by the wonderful Bengtzen family and am in awe.
    The senitments are of pure love between them but most of all great esteem towards Gary and Raynee because of the way they have lived their lives and treated others. They are two beautiful people and I feel it a privelege to have known them and spent time with them.
    Gary first came into my life as a missionary, fresh out in the field, 45 years ago. He has been a friend ever since that time but, more importantly, a true and faithful follower of Jesus Christ, giving all that he could to help others find and live by truth and righteousness.
    He is truly a bright star in my life and will always be remembered as such.
    Much love is sent to you both, Gary and Raynee, and to your whole family. Please say hello to Betty Jo and to Bob.
    Betty & Cliff Smith England

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tribute to Raynee, Jen. Having worked with Raynee through "Rent-A-Crazy"(Ask Raynee what that was all about), Road Shows, Young Women's, Sesquecentennial, Pioneer Trek,Relief Society, etc, etc,etc; we've all learned that as Gary always says "Raynee has to do everything 110%." She's an amazing woman, and such a great support for Gary. In many ways, they're Yin and Yang; complementing one another in every way. We love them both and are better from having known and associated with them. They are both spiritual leaders/examples as well as entertainment/activity directors in everything they do. This is especially true,because you never know what the next event will bring. Our love and prayers are with them continually.

    Ben & Barb Burdett

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy Cammans BasfordFebruary 22, 2011 at 10:31 AM

    What beautiful remarks Jen! It is exactly how Raynae and Gary influenced my family with their warm friendship, as neighbors, church leaders and especially, PEACEFUL FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST. We love them dearly and their legacy has been true blessing to me over the years especially during difficult times and will continue to influence my life. I love them, their family and am deeply inspired by this blog!

    ReplyDelete