Saturday, February 5, 2011

Life decisions






















Last night I called my family when I was leaving my office. It was after 9:00PM Mountain time, so it was after 11:00PM in Kentucky. Dad was asleep so I didn't get to talk with him. Mom put me on speaker and I was able to talk with everyone. We joked with everyone and made fun of Cory sleeping at the wheel 30,000 feet in the air. Thank heaven for the other pilot.












Mom said that Dad stayed awake the entire flight that was just over 4 hours. She laughed about how they made him try and walk around the plane for his daily exercise. She described Dad as i little kid in a candy store. He was so excited and had that humble smile that we all know so well on his face the entire time.












As we talked, I really struggled with not being there. I'm sure as everyone reads this blog, the main question everyone has but is reluctant to ask is "how long does Dad have with us on earth". I know that is a HUGE question in our family as well. All of us talk about it here and there and unfortunately none of us know the answer. If we knew the answer, would we do anything different???? Would it make things different? Well I am proud to say that I think all of our family is at peace with our time together, our loving relationships and the open communication we share. Our family is one of very few and I am sad for all the people in the world that don't have what we do. What a blessing...












I write this today because one thing about our family is that we are ALL very close. Our parents have done a fabulous job teaching us the importance of family and love for one another. They taught us through example not words. With that said, we all have "worldly responsibilities"that we try to balance. Some of the hardest decisions we make in life is between the balance of family and work. I have made the wrong decision many times and have paid dearly for them. By the grace of God, I have had a couple of wonderful years in "semi-retirement" and have spent time with my family that is absolutely priceless. My beautiful wife, kids and my parents have been able to see each other more than the last 10 years combined. I am so grateful for this.












Last night, as I saw the pictures of my parents, brothers and sister in Kentucky without me, I started to cry. There was people in my office and so I had to quickly pull myself together. I am so sorry Dad that I am not with all of you. I know you understand, but that is the way you are. You are the most understanding, non judgemental person I have ever known.












I am not on the "pity pot" (well maybe a little) but I am SO ANGRY RIGHT NOW!!! How can a man that has lived his life so righteously, so lovingly, so understandingly, etc. etc. have so little time left with us!!!!!!!!!! We all know the story of our saviour Jesus Christ. We all feel the incredible sadness of what he went through. After all, he died for US!!! In my 40 years of life I have accepted what he endured because it is justified through a belief of what we now have because of him.












Well, why does my dad have to go through this! Why does this pillar of a human being all of a sudden go from the rock of our family to a man in such incredible pain that he can't put thoughts together. Thoughts that generate from a mind that I only aspire to have one day? Why does my mother who ALWAYS puts others before herself have to watch her love of her life suffer???????????????????












I LOVE YOU MOM AND DAD! But I HATE what is happening! This is sooo wrong!!! There are evil people in this world that continue to live and hurt others every day. My life decisions can't hold a candle to the life that my Father has lead, NOT EVEN CLOSE! I know Mom doesn't like the "hate" word, but I HATE THIS, HATE THIS, HATE THIS TO THE CORE OF MY BONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!












This is wrong!

8 comments:

  1. Kirk, i can't even imagine what you are going through. I love the pictures in France and just be so Thankful that you had that experience with your parents and our son Tyson, WHAT A BLESSING he got to go and see his grandparents. Life is full of struggles and heartache and this cancer, I don't understand why our loving god would have anyone of his children go through this pain. You are a wonderful father and you have been blessed with your beautiful children and your beautiful wife. I hate what is happening to Gary, he always had such a peaceful appearance to him and he still does, when I have been around him, honestly I felt God around me. He has a special spirit directly coming from our god and in the recent pictures at the hospital during his Chemotherapy,he had that peace within him, through all the pain he has endured I know God is right by his side, he is so strong, going to Kentucky, WOW. No pain meds last night WOW. He is strong and you are strong so don't beat yourself up God will make this right and just live for today and dont worry about how long in the future, live for today and give your thanks to god that your dad is with you. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. My prayers are with you and my kids at their prayer time "please pray for Kirk's dad to get well" AMEN. He is very loved by everyone, who hasn't even met him. That is God, he has a special place for your dad within him. Love Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirk,
    Your post was very heartbreaking. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now, and it is difficult to understand that big word, WHY?

    I don't have any answers, and until that great day when we are all together on the other side of the veil, we probably won't.

    The scripture comes to mind (paraphrased)
    'Trust in the Lord and lean not to your own understanding'

    We don't know why Gary is suffering so much, it isn't fair and it isn't right. And we all 'hate' it as much as you do.

    There is such a thing as righteous indignation. I think we all feel that, because of what is going on with your sweet parents.

    Your dad is an amazing person, one of the very best, as is Raynee, and you're lucky to have such wonderful parents. But that doesn't make it any easier right now, does it?

    I just wanted to tell you to be strong and of good courage. All will be well, in time.

    I hope that doesn't sound trite or insensitive, because your feelings are real and I understand them. But I say them in the hopes of giving you some peace and hope.

    We all love your family. They are pillars of what we should strive to be.

    We are all praying for them.

    Heavenly Father knows us, He counts our tears, and He will make it all right in the end.

    We cannot see the future, but we have hands to hold to walk with us, we have friends and family to share the good and bad times.

    Cling to your family, when you are weak, they will be strong, and when they fall, you can lift them up.

    We love you all. We continue to pray for them.

    Sally and Chipper

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very moving stuff Kirk, my heart goes out to you. I think I can say one thing that will hopefully lift your spirits. Your Dad's legacy lives in through you in perhaps more ways than you might realize. I can see what a difference you've made in your life just by reading a couple paragraphs from you. I can now add "spiritually" to the list of ways in which you've inspired me. Something that your Dad, my Uncle, has always done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirk, you are awesome and sometimes someone needs to say what others are just thinking! Hang in there, we are praying for you too, not just your parents. We think you are all as amazing as your dad is and although I can't give you understanding or even comfort, the Savior, who went through all things can. He loves you all so much and hates this as much as you do.
    Hugs to you all.
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures. A great trip down memory lane. Great memories of your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three are usually cheap Ralph Lauren available for sale each and every time you wish to buy. acim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. a course in miracles free audio download

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. acim

    ReplyDelete