Monday, February 21, 2011

Dad's Obituary

Raise the banner high! Gary has finished his earthly work and is beginning his new mission in service to the Savior.  Service has ever been his watchword and his mission here on Earth.  Gary was born on February 18, 1947 to Robert Walker and Betty Jo Kartchner Bengtzen in Salt Lake City, Utah.  He passed away just two days after his 64th birthday after a short, but heroic battle with cancer.
Gary served an LDS mission to the British Isles where he made many friendships he still cherishes today. While in his 50’s, Gary had the opportunity to serve the Lord with Raynee in France for 18 glorious months.  Gary loved France!
Gary married the love of his life, Raynee Chidester, in the Salt Lake Temple on October 23, 1968. Gary treasured his family above all. He was happiest when he was in a Hawaiian shirt barbequing for his family by the pool. 
Gary spent his life serving the Lord and held many callings in the LDS church including Bishop, member of the Stake Presidency, Young Men’s President, missionary, and for the last eight years serving the young adults across the Salt Lake Valley. Gary spent a great deal of time serving others including many trips to Mexico to distribute eyeglasses, years of help with the Christmas Wish, and years in Rotary and Kiwanis.
Gary loved the sunshine, convertibles, the beach, and relaxing by the pool. He spent much of his life in the printing industry where he made many lifelong friends.
Gary is survived by his eternal wife Raynee, Children Teague (Jennifer), Kirk (Brandi), Alicia (Rick) Finlayson, Cory (Spring), and Chris (Cassie), 14 Grandchildren, Parents Robert and Betty Jo, Raynee’s parents Ken and Rene Chidester, Siblings Myke Branch, Tim (Barbara) and Suzie Turner, Kelly (Ginny) Chidester, and Kathy (Jeff) Kjar. Preceded in death by his brother Kay.
There will be viewings on Wednesday February 23rd from 6:30 – 8:30pm at Wasatch Lawn (3401 S. Highland Dr.) and Thursday February 24th from 10:00 – 11:45am at the Salt Lake Highland Stake Center (2738 S. Filmore St. (1550 East)). Services will be held Thursday February 23rd at noon at the Salt Lake Highland Stake Center (2738 S. Filmore St. (1550 East)).
In lieu of flowers, please send donations to www.bacausa.com (St. George chapter).
To learn more about his story or go to www.garysmiracles.blogspot.com.
Dad, thank you for your amazing example!  We love you!

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful obituary. Afitting tribute to an amazing man and his family.

    We are looking forward to paying our respects.

    Sally and Chipper and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to share this memory of Bishop Gary Bengtzen...
    Gary was the bishop, and I was called to be the president of an organization in the ward. I was young and inexperienced and I was struggling in the calling. In the course of my service, I had unknowingly offended some people, feelings had been hurt, and there was contention and disunity in the organization's leadership. In this situation I was discouraged, distraught, and felt like a total failure…that I had let down my Heavenly Father, and the leaders and the members of the ward.
    Bishop Bengtzen met with me, and I was hoping that he would release me from my calling, so that things would be better for everyone involved. I wanted out!
    He lovingly counseled me, and told me that he wanted me to continue to be the president. He expressed his confidence in me, and helped me to forgive others and to forgive myself. He gave me another chance to make things right and to try again.
    In the end, things did work out.
    I learned so much from that whole experience. It has blessed me and helped me as I have served in future callings, and as I have faced other challenges in my life.
    I am so grateful for Bishop Bengtzen!
    He showed me true Christ-like love.
    What a great leader and example he was.
    I know he will continue his great work on the other side of the veil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is beautifully said. We love Gary and each of you. We will be there to pay our respects to our dear friend.

    Love,

    Dave & Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have written a splendid tribute. Raise the banner high, indeed!
    -Lisa M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bengtzens! What a beautiful obituary! We just pulled into the driveway--have been in St. George with family since Friday. What a glorious send off you have all given to your father and husband! We are all awestruck as to how you all pulled together during a tough time and so lovingly included all of us through this blog. We have all lost a dear friend and loved one in Gary, but Heaven has truly gained a hero. He will long be remembered and revered. Indeed, RAISE THE BANNER HIGH! Love, Dean and Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that he loved sunshine--and that you listed that first. May he enjoy it now, pain free.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete