Friday, February 18, 2011

Ride Again

Father,
We got here last night and I held your hand for a long time. You woke up and acknowledged Cassie and our baby Kade. You put your hands out and Kade held your fingers for a minute. It probably was the most moving thing for me all week, sitting there looking at my father and my baby boy holding hands, knowing that baby Kade won't be able to get to know this most amazing man, the man who taught me to love, to be kind and how to be a father, husband and everything else. Kade you will get to know him through me. I will do everything I can to be as good of a father to you, Aiden, and Mason. Cassie, you will get to know him better through me too, by trying to love you and be the best man that he has showed me how to be.

Dad, as i sit here next you you in mom's chair I am thinking that I have wanted to ride with you for some time now. last year mom and I got you a street bike for Christmas, it wasn't a Harley but we had to do it in baby steps ;-) I have wanted to take off and just hit the road with you knowing the wind was in our face and you were right there with me.
When I was little some of our fun times we spent together was riding motorcycles. we had so much fun. you taught me to ride my first motorcycle when I was 8 years old.
we would go out almost every Saturday and ride bikes together.
I am sitting here also thinking about the birthday presents I was trying to put together for you before we found out you had cancer the present was a trip for all the boys in the family. You, Teague, Kirk, Rick, Cory, and your brother Tim were going to rent Harley's from Vegas (i am sure Tim would have found somewhere to rent a Honda) we were going to do a 3 day road trip on the bikes. It was going to be this weekend, I had it all planned out, we had two night stays at really cool places and we were going to go ride some of the old rout 66. i know it is something that you would have loved to do.
We will ride again on the other side my father, we will ride again!
I love you!
Chris

A small update
Dad is not responding much today. the nurse said "he can hear us but he is not participating".
I am looking forward to hearing the singing and honking tonight.
thanks for all of your love and what you mean to my parents and our family!
my parents are very loving and are very loved!

10 comments:

  1. Hey Chris -
    Your post touched my heart. You still go on that motorcycle ride with your brothers! Your dad would want you to do that. Go in his honor and memory. Rest assured, he'll be with with you on the trip. Every motorcycle rider needs a guardian angel to follow along. He's never stopped looking out for you boys...he'll just be in the next room this time.
    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I set an alarm on my phone to make sure I make it up the street by 7:30pm. It's the sound of a motorcycle. It's a pretty wimpy motorcycle, though. Couldn't possibly be a Harley! But then, I guess I have to start slow, too! Love ya!

    Lisa M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honked the horn in my car on the way home tonight. The folks in Kentucky didn't understand it, but I felt better for it.

    Happy birthday bro.

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are missing the party tonight because the Ivins are cheering on the Utes (yes, the school up there) gymastics team. Grant even put on a Ute tattoo. Happy birthday Gary! This one's for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, Gary! We weren't able to make it this evening because we were celebrating our son Joshua's 5th birthday, but we just wanted to let you know we are thinking of and praying for you. (Even our children have been good to remember you when they pray as well.) We have made such great memories with you and your family over the years. The fun pool parties at your home have always been a highlight of the summer for our kids. What a wonderful tribute and great record this blog is! We love you all!

    Love, Ryan and Laura Ellertson (and kids)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That trip would have been awesome Chris! You are right, my dad would have found a Honda somewhere. Your dad would love for you to go on that ride still.


    Your cousin Mike

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Dad taught me how to ride too when I was 11 and bought me my first bike. What you said hits home. My best to you and your family my friend. You'll always remember him holding your kids. I Always wished my Dad would have been able to see my kids, and I'm glad you got that chance!

    Much love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family....Chef

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris, sorry for your loss your dad sounded like a hell of a man our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family


    stumpy wasatch front

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris-
    Your dad was incredible. I am so sorry that you lost him so soon. You have so much good in you that I know came from him and your amazing mom. Please give her a hug for me and know that I'm here if you ever need anything.
    With lots of hugs and love,
    Amy (Stevens) Reed

    ReplyDelete