Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Start of the Family

I have not spoken with Mom or Dad yet this morning, but when I woke up I thought it would be fun to show everyone their wedding picture.

They were married on October 23, 1968.  Many of Mom’s family members were not members of the church so they had a beautiful wedding at Willow Creek Country Club and then were sealed in Salt Lake Temple. 

Many people don’t know that Mom and Dad actually lived next door to each other much of their growing up years.  There are even stories about them not liking each other when they were younger and one of them throwing rocks over the fence at the other.  After graduating from high school, my mother moved to San Francisco with some of her friends.  While there she met the missionaries and started learning more about the gospel.  While Dad was on his mission in England, Mom moved back to Salt Lake and came to Dad’s parents (Grandpa Bob and Grandma Betty) and said she wanted to be taught more about the church and be baptized.  Dad’s older brother Kay had recently returned home from his mission and started teaching Mom and a short time later she was baptized.

Mom’s parents (Grandpa Ken and Grandma Rene) and Dad’s parents are still alive today.  They are amazing people and my siblings and cousins are so lucky to have them around.  My two oldest children have actually seen their great grandfather water-ski!!  How many people can say that!  I want to express my love to Grandma Rene, Grandpa Ken, Grandma Betty, and Grandpa Bob.  They have raised amazing children and have been a huge part of my life.  Kirk and I were talking the other day about how much we love talking to them and being around them.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Teague! What a wonderful love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've always felt that living in the house Raynee grew up in was a special connection! Until a few years ago you could still see scribbles from Chidester kiddos down in the basement! They were mostly little "tributes" to one another. I'm sure they all feel much kinder to each other now!

    We loved having Bob and Betty next door! (We love Jim and Marie too - way to find great replacement neighbors!) I will forever be indebted to Bob for helping care for my lawn after Kirsten was born and I was dealing with so much!

    What a blessing Raynee and Gary's next door neighbor romance has been to so many!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes they have raised amazing kids. I am happy to know so many of the Bengtzens. There are so many great postings form all of the family and it is so awesome to see the comments from children, grandchildren and the spouses of the Bengtzen children. What an incredible legacy Gary and Raynee have. Thanks for sharing so much of your lives with all of us. We love you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture and a great story! I bet they are just as much in love now (or more) than they were the day the photo was taken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this. I remeber them telling us about that story it was soo funny as Raynee always tell stories and make it funny...haha

    ReplyDelete