Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Morning Update

We are sorry for not writing more yesterday!

Mom and Dad had been helping put on a large Young Single Adult activity and one of the members of their committee visited them last night and gave them a blow by blow of how it went.  Mom said it really elevated Dad’s spirits to hear how well it went.  Mom said it felt like they were at the activity because the report was so detailed and great.

Dad was very restless again last night.  We think it is the steroids he is taking to stimulate his appetite.  He finally did fall asleep and slept pretty well, however he is in a lot of pain this morning.

Today at noon he has another liver biopsy.  The last one was pretty painful but with the amount of meds he is on we are hoping this one will be better.
Dad is quite weak and gets very tired after 10 or 15 minutes of slowly walking around the house.  I spent the day there yesterday and cannot express how much I love spending time with the two of them. 

For several days after we learned of the cancer my siblings and I did a lot of crying.  It was strange for us because we would be going about a normal day and just start crying uncontrollably.  The frequency of the crying has slowed but it is very difficult for us to see Dad in so much pain and so weak.  I can’t believe just a few short months ago everything in our family was fine.

3 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph broke my heart. I'm so sad too, this is so not fair and so awful. I am still constantly praying for Gary and that he begins to feel better very soon. And for Raynee that she can be strong for him.

    Cancer bites!! I hate cancer!

    Thanks Teague for all the updates. I hope the biopsy is now over and it wasn't as bad as last time.

    Sally and Chipper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grief is like a baby. It cries and demands your attention at odd times thru the day, and very likely will do it's best to keep you up at night. As it grows, it visits and you cry together at important family events. Or when you see commercials with puppies, or the old Home Front commercials.

    Unlike the a dike, there's really no way to plug the leak. However, the nice thing about grief is that except for a few times of real, deep involvement, he is happy to share you with Joy and Delight. They, too, will share with Grief, but they recognize that he is smaller when they are around!

    I'll never forget the Joy of seeing a rare phenomenon where you may see a "rainbow" in a cloud floating overhead after Raynee was diagnosed. Look for rainbows! And let grief be grief. But let Joy and Delight join the party!

    -Lisa Morrise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary & Raynee,

    we are keeping you close to our thoughts and in our prayers daily. We love you both and pray that things will improve for you.
    Dave and I are anxious to come visit but we returned home from the cruise with colds & coughs. We are on the mend right now and hope to see you sometime this weekend! I'll make sure to bring some homemade treats!
    I'm grateful for this blog, it allows us all some insight what you are all going through. I know this is deeply personal but I just want to express my gratitude for allowing us to be a part of this and grateful for each of you in our lives.

    Much love,

    Dave & Tammy Miller

    ReplyDelete