Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fasting today

Hi family and friends,

I am so grateful for the opportunity to have fasted today. I know that as Teague and I have talked with others, we have been so overcome with feelings of gratitude for every one's participation.

Earlier, there was a post made about how awesome the Bengtzen family is. I have now been a member of the Bengtzen family for almost 20 years. I can remember the very first time I met Gary and Raynee. They had the "dinner group" at their house and they were so kind to me. There was also a funny experience along with that...but that is for another time. Teague and I had a very fast courtship and we were so in love (and still are now!) and I was so grateful that we were each prepared by loving parents for the roles we were about to take on. He has always had good role models in Gary and Raynee.

Teague has ALWAYS looked up to his Dad as a mentor but mostly as a friend. It has been so wonderful to watch this relationship over the years. I have been grateful for the example and faithfulness of both Gary and Raynee.

My son Zak and I sang in Sacrament Meeting today with our choir. We sang the song "Love is Spoken Here." The first verse is "I see my Mother kneeling with our family each day, I hear the words she whispers as she bows her head to pray. Her plea to the Father quiets all my fears, and I am thankful love is spoken here." The second verse is "Mine is a home where every hour is blessed by the strength of priesthood power. With Father and Mother leading the way, teaching me how to trust and obey and the things they teach are crystal clear for love is spoken here. I can often feel the Savior near, when love is spoken here."

As I reflected on the message of this song, I thought of Gary and Raynee and their home. It is filled with the Spirit as they try to continually teach children, grandchildren, friends and neighbors of God's love for all of us. I know that even though this is one of the hardest things they will ever go through, they are continuing to bless all of our lives by being wonderful examples of faith. Miracles happen. I am grateful for that knowledge that God loves all of us. His sheep are numbered and He is constantly watching over us.

I am grateful to be a part of the Bengtzen clan and to have them for my in-laws!


I love you Gary and Raynee.

Jen

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post and how fitting is that song. It truly does reflect the lives of Gary and Raynee. They are perfect examples of the pure love of Christ. It doesn't matter who you are, they always make you feel loved and welcomed in their home and their lives. I am so grateful to have been in their presence, in their home, and welcomed into their family and to feel of their unconditional love! Thank you both for being true disciples of Christ and for your love and examples!

    What a great opportunity to have been able to fast for such an amazing man, father, grandfather, uncle, brother, and friend and to be able to do something for someone who has done so much for so many other people! As I have thought of Gary and your sweet family, my heart is full of gratitude and love. I know that God is aware of each of us as individuals. He does have a hand in all that we do and that He truly is a God of miracles. I pray that He will continue to bless you with all you stand in need of and many more miracles through out this journey!

    Love you dearly- Mel Nesbit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the post Jen. It was a good experience yesterday, fasting for Gary and Raynee and family felt like we could actually DO something to help. It was really good to know that there were so many people who were joining in the fast.

    What a blessing it is to fast together, and be united in a great goal.

    We are continuing to pray and send good thoughts to the Bengtzens

    ReplyDelete