Thursday, January 13, 2011

January 13, 2011

Thank you Kirk for posting those pictures of Dad!

Mom and Dad arrived late at the doctor's office this morning (they know how to make a great first impression!).  On the way to their they discovered that there was a problem with the medication dad was SUPPOSED to be taking.  His instructions were to take 5 pills 12 hours before and 5 pills 6 hours before they started the chemo.  While in the car it came out that Dad had taken 1 pill 12 hours before and 1 pill 6 hours before (2 instead of 10 total pills).  So...not only were they late but they had a confessional as they walked in. Fortunately this was not a big enough deal to delay the treatment.

The actual chemo took longer than expected. They were told to plan on 6 hours and it ended up being closer to 7.  They had to pump several bags (Mom thought about 8) into his system and it took quite a while.  Kirk, Chris, Cassie, and Alicia were there at the beginning to wish Dad luck.  Mom said it was uneventful but did tell me that never had a bottom hurt more than hers did after sitting that long.  Dad told me that things went better than he thought they were going to.

Zak, Josh, and I went over tonight to visit Mom and Dad.  They arrived home from receiving the chemo about 4:30 and Dad slept from then to about 6:30 when we arrived.  He looked good and seemed to have quite a bit of energy. He did a lot of joking around with the kids. Kirk, Brandi, and Dawson also came over tonight to visit.  Dad said that overall the pain was "noticeably better" today (we love those pain meds).

Mom and Dad each told me separately that they loved hearing from so many people who had commented on this blog. Last week shortly after Dad was diagnosed Mom told me something that has stayed with me. She said that cancer is a "marvelous" disease in that it shows a person how many people care about him/her.  The comments that people make are automatically emailed to mom, dad, and their kids. It has been so uplifting for all of us to read how much people love my Mom and Dad!  Keep those comments coming!!

7 comments:

  1. The Kentucky chapter of the Bengtzen family sends our best wishes. It is very hard being this far away, but be sure our prayers are with Gary always. We appreciate this blog, it makes us feel a bit closer. Thanks to all those who post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about this Gary! I wish you all the best. You are in my thoughts.

    Stephanie Bates Haynes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary - the Thunell's are praying for you. You and your sweet wife have blessed our lives, and we wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are wonderful people!!! That's why everyone loves you!! I'm soooo glad I had the chance to know you in France. You mean a lot to me.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one of those people who love your mom and dad. I am also one of those people who hate Cancer with a passion. One good thing, you realize there are amazing people who will perform amazing acts of service on your behalf, you will find out there are so many people who love you, and it will bring your family so close together. I am praying for your miracle. I love the Bengtzen family. Thanks for keeping us posted. Love and prayers.

    Jenn Dorius Allen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was shopping today and ran into our old mailman who used to deliver here in our neighbourhood ten years ago.

    I felt sort of guilty because I was putting my cart in a place where you're not really supposed to put them, but I was in a hurry. I heard a voice say "Can I take your cart inside for you" I turned and thanked him, and recognized him as our old mailman. He said jokingly "Then I'll have something to lean on as I walk in"

    So I said "You're our former mailman, who delivered to our mail, years ago, aren't you?" and he said he was. We then chatted for about ten minutes, as I tried to let him know exactly where I lived.

    He said he's going to drive by and see the old places and streets he used to walk every day. He told me that I'd made his day, by being nice enough to stop and talk and jog his memory of old times.

    I had a good feeling that I'd been able to brighten someone's day. Then as I drove home I thought, wouldn't it be awesome if we all did something extra nice for someone, every day, for Gary, because as we know, he is always doing something kind and caring for others.

    Maybe we could post here what we do for Gary, each day and he could enjoy the stories as he's healing and getting his strength back.

    Thank you Teague, Kirk, Alicia, Cory, and Christopher for the blog and the pictures and for taking the time to keep us up to date.

    The Bengtzen's are well loved!! that's for sure!

    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Stewart's are cheering for you, Gary! We love you and Raynee and pray for the two of you and your family multiple times a day.
    Rich and Diane

    ReplyDelete