Friday, January 21, 2011

Evening Update

Dad had a good day today.  Alicia spent the morning with him and his pain seems to be under control.  At 3:00 we went to his Nadir appointment (see definition in this morning’s post).  They tested his blood and said that all of his counts were great and exactly what they were hoping for.  This was good news to us!  Mom and I asked a lot of questions.  When we were done, the doctor started to stand up and said, “OK. Anything else?” and dad said, “Uh...can I ask some questions?”  I felt so badly that we had taken over.  This must be very hard for Dad.  We all want to help and we show that by taking charge.  I need to remember that he is the patient.

One frustrating piece of news we were told is the test we have been waiting for to find out the origination of the cancer has not happened.  The doctor found out today that the lab did not have enough of Dad’s liver to perform the test.  I was very angry because this seems like our last shot at finding out the type of cancer and they were supposed to do the test 10 days ago.  The doctor did tell us (and this was news to us) there is a good chance they will not be able to find out where it originated from.  This news was very disheartening to me.  I want to fight this with everything we can and that may not be possible.

Dad asked what the next few weeks held and the doctor told him a few things.  First, he will probably lose his hair next week (he is already starting to see his facial hair stop growing).  Second, the next 6 days are when his immune system will be the lowest so he needs to be very careful.  Third, he should start having more energy in the next few days.  Fourth, they are changing the nausea regimen for the next chemo in the hope of avoiding the horrible reaction his body had.  They scheduled his next chemo treatment for February 3rd.

Before the doctor’s appointment Dad was able to do a little work which makes him feel better.  I was talking on the phone at one point during the day and looked at him and noticed he was smiling.  I saw he was reading comments from people on the blog.  I have realized over the last few days how much these comments mean to him.  Right now he doesn’t have a lot of good things in his life and he loves reading the kind words and funny things people write.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

As I was leaving Spring and Jaxon arrived.  It was great to see them and I know they will lift Mom and Dad’s spirits.

Sleep well Mom and Dad!!  I love you.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad he had a good day today. That's what all the the people who cares for you wish.

    I hope you have a good night sleep.

    xoxo

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added a bookmark to this blog on my iPhone. Now I can stalk the Bengtzens so much easier! Glad the appointment went well.

    Kirsten has been mad at me, now that she's a "grown-up" (18 in a few weeks), for taking over her appointments. The simple solution? She gets to go first. Family questions are important too! So, patient first, then everyone else. Also, writing down questions and even chatting with each other ahead of time re: top concerns and goals for a visit can make your provider encounters more productive.

    No sneezing allowed (or coughing) for the next six days! Time to invest in lots of Kleenex! Hang in there! Love ya! -Lisa Morrise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had tried to post a comment a few days ago without success. I hope that this goes through this time.

    We’ve read of the rollercoaster ride of Gary’s condition. We're glad to hear when Gary is doing better & we hope and pray that the improvement continues. We love seeing that many, many people have showed their love for you on this blog. Add our names to the list of people who love you (and we sure do love Raynee too).

    I love and appreciate Gary. I remember being very young & somewhat naïve early in my business career and looking to Gary for advice. I remember sitting in his office at Printers Inc several times while he patiently listened to my thoughts and concerns and then dispensed sage advice. Gary may not remember that at all, but I sure do. Thanks, Gary.

    This blog is a great idea. I've been reading it to Jodi & she keeps saying "that Kirk is so cute". I think she's talking about what he has written...at least I hope that's what she means.

    We think of you often and pray for you every night.

    Dan & Jodi Moss (& the kids)

    ReplyDelete